Lemon + Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
Roasting is my favorite way to cook almost every vegetable. You can do it year-round (unlike grilling). It works for almost every vegetable type. You need very few ingredients. It’s healthy, and most importantly, they usually taste the best when roasted. Jon would not eat asparagus or Brussels sprouts until I roasted them, but now he actually requests them! I never thought I’d see the day.
I usually like to keep it simple: olive oil, salt, pepper, and sometimes lemon and parmesan. But depending on what kind of cuisine you’re serving it with, you could change up the seasonings any way you want.
When you buy asparagus, get the fattest kind you can. It will be tenderer, and it will cook better. If it looks skinny or limp, avoid it, and buy something else. If the asparagus isn’t fresh and crisp, it’s not worth buying because it just won’t taste very good.
Total Time: 25 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
1 pound fresh asparagus spears
Olive oil spray
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 ounces parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Trim an inch off the bottom of the asparagus spears.
- Spray a half sheet pan with olive oil spray, and arrange the asparagus in a single layer.
- Spray the asparagus with olive oil spray, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 12-16 minutes, or until the asparagus is starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven, and immediately squeeze with fresh lemon juice.
- Grate the parmesan cheese directly oven asparagus, and serve immediately.