Middle Eastern Chicken + Black Bean Soup
Jon’s favorite dinners are ones that have spicy and exotic flavors. He loves curry, and last year I introduced our family to some other blends like Berbere and Ras El Hanout. Ras El Hanout is a seasoning blend found in Middle Eastern cooking and is made of coriander, turmeric, cardamom, sea salt, black pepper, clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg. It is a nice flavor for chicken and many vegetables too, like eggplant or peppers.
Soups are one of my favorite things to make because you can change it up any way you want! Plus you can often do it in the slow cooker. If you want to do this on the stove top, you can. You could also follow steps 1-4, then add the rest of the ingredients to the Dutch oven –then cover it, and put it in a 300 degree oven for about 2 hours. Any method would work, and the Dutch oven to oven method is probably closer to authentic. But sometimes I don’t have time for authentic, and it’s easier to just put it in the slow cooker!
Total Time: 7 hours (Hands-On Time: 1 hour)
Difficulty Level: Easy
Vegetable oil as needed
½ red onion, small diced
1 green bell pepper, small diced
4 tablespoons Ras El Hanout
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cumin
8 ounces dry white wine, such as Sauv Blanc
4 raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts, small diced
3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 10.5 ounce can diced tomatoes in green chiles
6-10 cups chicken broth
Freshly chopped cilantro
Plain Greek yogurt
- Heat up 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the bottom of a large Dutch oven.
- Add the onion and pepper, and saute over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the Ras El Hanout, ginger, and cumin, and continue to cook with the vegetables for another 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, and use a wooden spoon to scrape off any bits from the pan.
- Add the diced chicken to the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add the sautéed vegetables on top of the chicken, and stir gently to mix.
- Add the drained black beans, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth (as needed) to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 6 hours, stirring every once or twice to break the chicken and vegetables up.
- Serve hot with freshly chopped cilantro and a dollop of Greek yogurt.