Roasted Radishes “à la Français”
(the name of this recipe is a shout out to my fellow Real Housewife fans –and these radishes are definitely cool, not all like, uncool.)
I first roasted radishes when I was bored, with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. I was shocked at how the flavor was transformed so easily. Raw, radishes are bitter, crunchy, and pepper. I love adding them to salads and keep them in the fridge most of the time. But roasted, they become soft, smoky, and a little sweet.
Butter is a more French, luxurious way to cook radishes, and the tarragon has a lemony, earthy flavor that goes well with the radishes, too. The best parts about this are 1) it feels elegant, and more importantly 2) it super cheap, super easy, and kids will eat them too! They’ll probably just think it’s really small potatoes unless you tell them otherwise.
This dish is very wallet-friendly since radishes run about $1 a pound. Since I made these in the spring, I just used thyme from my herb box. Thyme is one the easiest herbs to grow because it’s very hearty and spreads quickly. I’m pretty much still a beginner in the gardening department – BUT I did plant thyme last year, managed not to kill it, and it came back this spring in full force!
If you’re new to planting herbs, I say definitely go with thyme, basil, parsley, mint, and chives. That’s what I plant. They’re all pretty easy to maintain, and they’re really versatile. Just make sure to plant the mint in its own container because it spreads like crazy and will take over.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
1 ½ pounds of radishes
½ stick of unsalted butter, softened
4 tablespoons of freshly chopped thyme
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and trim the radishes. Half the large ones, and leave the small ones whole to keep a uniform size.
- Toss the radishes in the softened butter, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the radishes to a sheet pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven up to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss the radishes on the pan, and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes, watching closely after 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.